domingo, 19 de junio de 2011

The Washout!

Hey All,

So I figured it being the day before I leave I might as well give a few insights to how things are going at this point.

This morning we woke up from our week's family vacation in the realization that mother nature dropped 5 inches of rain while we were sleeping! There was a "creek" at the end of the driveway that our "astro" van was barely able to cross the previous 5 days (most days it bottomed out). Well with the 5 inches of rain, the "creek" started looking more like a river. It trippled in size and was a good 2.5 feet deep at certain points. The forecast wasn't on our side either. If we weren't getting out of there today, there was would be no leaving for another 4 days as the meteorologists were forcasting another 4 days of rain! ...at this point we believed them. So we spent a good 3 hrs. throwing rock on top of this washed out river making a makeshift rock bridge so the van wouldn't whisk away with the current. The van had one shot, got stuck once, but ironically never bottomed out!

That, combined with getting back home at 5:30 combined with Father's Day activities all made for an awesome, somewhat stressful Sunday before leaving for India! The clothes from this week are in the laundry right now. I won't have a cell phone so I'm going to have to wear a watch (weird), I bought a rain coat for India's monsoon season (check), hiking boots for Nepal along with some socks that are suppose to wick away the sweat from my feet (probably a gimmick but I figured I'd give it a try), kahki pants are also in tow as we will probably be invited to an Indian wedding or two because we're white (they like taking pictures with white people as the white race is considered higher class in India).

At this point it looks like the only thing left to get is a few British pounds as we have a layover in London of 18 hrs! It actually works out well; my travel buddy Mike worked for Parliament in London last spring and knows some people who we'll hang out with for the day before hitting up the connecting flight to Delhi.

If you're ever travelling and don't have anything to use for your essentials (passport, medical papers, money, etc...) try using your external hard drive case, almost perfect size!

Well back to packing!

Peace,
Kyle

P.S. I'm not sure how much blogging I'll have time to do over there at this point. I apologize in advance if I don't end up having time to blog regularly!

1 comentario:

  1. I definitely didn't realize that the website is in Spanish! The last time I blogged on here I was in Spain, so Spanish it is for India! Chao.

    ResponderEliminar