domingo, 17 de julio de 2011

Kolkata

Its been a little over two weeks since taking on the contrasting city of Kolkata. I say contrasting because I'll be walking down the unsanitary street with butcher shops getting ready for their next slaughter on a wood stump right out in the open air for everyone to see. A friend of his is sitting next to him on his cell phone (possibly making orders for more livestock shipments?)


It is definitely an Indian thing to throw trash everywhere. You'll walk down the street and have to go out of your way to dodge the latest pile of litter that had been swept up by wooden and straw brooms. It'll be hauled away...the question is...when?


I've been sick for the last few days so I've had some time to think about the city and the experience I've been having in being a volunteer. I have been working at Nabo Jibon (a center run by the missionary of charity brothers for the mentally and physically handicapped). Because we don't speak Hindi or Bengali and none of the patients there speak English all we can really do is hang out with them. At first this was difficult and a little arduous as if I wasn't doing anything for them. It seemed like we were there for a little over 3 hours and left without making much of an impact in their lives. I started to notice how "the little things" went a very long way with them after about a week when many of them started to remember my face and would come up to me and just want to hang out. I'm reminded of what Mother Theresa said "But we can do small things with great love." Apparently the brothers have seen that I have been doing all that I can for the kids because today one of the brothers talked me through a whole set of excercises that he would like me to help out with on Friday for a few of the Cerebral Pulsey patients! It should be a little more difficult volunteering as the kids usually cry or scream while going through therapy.


Tomorrow it will be off to the leprosy center where the lepers make the Sarris (traditional Indians womens' clothing) for the MCs. It was a bit of a mad rush by the volunteers for spots on the tour so I'm thinking it will be an awesome experience!

Take care and God Bless,

Kyle

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario